How Do I Know if I Have Insomnia?
You may have insomnia if you have trouble sleeping. There are many types of sleep disorders and sources of sleeplessness, so it is important to consult an experienced sleep specialist like Dr. Samit Malhotra to receive a diagnosis. An accurate diagnosis is the first step in reclaiming the restful sleep you need and deserve.
The defining characteristics of insomnia include:
- Trouble falling asleep
- Trouble staying asleep
- Being unable to fall asleep again after waking up too early
- Feeling tired throughout the day
Insomnia is defined as persistent problems when it comes to falling asleep and staying asleep. It may be acute or chronic, depending on how long you have been experiencing the issue and how often. Many people have episodes of insomnia from time to time, but it is important to seek medical help if it is affecting your life, which may manifest as:
- Excessive daily sleepiness
- Feeling sleepy soon after you awaken
- Trouble concentrating at work
- Trouble staying awake
- Moodiness and irritability caused by lack of sleep
- Strained interpersonal relationships
- Impaired productivity and focus
- Depression and anxiety
If Dr. Malhotra diagnoses insomnia, he will create a customized treatment plan. It may include improving sleep hygiene, cognitive behavioral therapy, treatment for underlying health conditions, lifestyle changes, medications or changing your sleeping environment.
Dr. Malhotra will work with you to determine what may be contributing to insomnia. Common contributing factors include:
- Stress and anxiety
- Work-related stress
- Financial stressors
- Consuming alcohol or caffeine too soon before bedtime
- Television, laptop, phone or other screen-use before bedtime
- Sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome
- Side effects of certain medications
- Unhealthy lifestyle habits
If you live in Greenwich, CT, or the surrounding areas, please call Sleep & Neuroscience Associates at (203) 653-3519 to arrange a consultation. Dr. Samit Malhotra is an experienced sleep specialist. He can determine if insomnia or other sleep disorders are affecting you, and he will recommend treatments to restore restful sleep.